Monday, May 19, 2008

INTENSIVE Baking!

Spent a good whole 5 hours (or slightly more I think) yesterday, at Palate Sensations doing an INTENSIVE baking course.

From previous experience, I know that Nan Ong, the Le Cordon Bleu trained pastry chef, has not been known to use the cake mixer much. So it was a great Sunday workout, hand whisking all that batter manually - I was perspiring just half an hour into the class!

Interestingly, there was a little boy just 14 years old, amongst the class of ladies. His mum signed him up for this class, and apparently, he cooks quite a lot at home. We ladies were quite impressed - he sure sounds like a chef in the making!




Lynette, the owner, was sweet enough to provide lunch - some French Onion Soup and pasta with ricotta fillings. French onion soup was from the class the day before - Francois' french immersion in french cuisine that I had wanted to go, if not for my busy schedule.


Ever made 3 cakes in a day? We did that day! Got the useful recipes of the pound cake (almost sara lee alike), the Golden Yellow Cake topped with a citrusy Orange Cream Cheese, and the "Ugly Fudgy Chocolate Cake" - not fudgy enough actually, in my opinion.




And I think these aprons were somewhat newly made, cos Lynette made us "model" for her.... Love the picture of her taken with Anthony Bourdain, especially the chopper he drew - he's so cool, one of my "idols".

6 comments:

Pebbles said...

Cakes look yummy!

=eLaiNe= said...

wow! not bad ya!! the cakes look tasty! i think i must sign up for one too!! to brush up my cooking or baking skill! hahahh =p

~tif;fany* said...

can i ask you for the recipes please??

Anonymous said...

I interviewed Lynette before! For a story on chefs who cook for your home party. The owner of Wild Rocket was one of them too heh.

It's nice to see how both of them have followed their dreams and made it really far :)

~tif;fany* said...

chloe: wilin (of wild rocket) used to work in my company! :)

Anonymous said...

tiffany: what a small world! truly six degrees of separation heh :)