Tuesday, April 08, 2008

The Housewife Speaks

Sometimes, the weekend is so short, that we have no extra time to squeeze in for grocery shopping. And even if we do so, it would be very rush, and we only make it to those that open 24 hours.

Having said that, grocery shopping remains one of my favourite ever since I became a Mrs. And those that know me well would know that I ONLY shop at either Cold Storage or Market Place. The bigger, more swanky NTUC could make it to my list, but Shop & Save is out. And I would NEVER step foot into Sheng Siong unless I have to go save a life there.

No, it's not that I'm atas or what. To me, grocery shopping is not just getting what we need for the house. It's about the shopping experience that I look out for and value. The way the shelves are arranged, the way the products are categorised and the flow/sequence of product placement.

Even the lighting places an important role - white glaring lights are a turn-off. The range of produce available differs too, I NEVER find any fresh basil or oregano at Shop & Save, only flies hovering over the "fresh" seafood and vegetables.

Much as I would like to, we sometimes really cannot afford the time. And since shopping online is so absolutely convenient, I thought the auntie in me would check out Cold Storage online.

It would have been a very viable alternative, given that the whole idea is actually quite neat, if not for the limited range of products available. There could even be some savings, some products being slightly cheaper online than at retail. More so, the brands that I usually trust and go for are not available.

In the end, I could only find these necessities, whilst the rest of the things I needed were not online.




So, until they are able to put the entire Cold Storage store online, I would still stick to visiting the supermarket in person. This actual experience of seeing and touching the products, reading about them, contemplating whether or not to buy cannot be replaced by the mere clicking of the mouse and convenience.

11 comments:

ShutterBug said...

nothing beats going thru' every aisle in a grocery supermart and just formulating the things you need/want/would-bes and what-nots ya!

karma chameleon said...

Wah fierce! :) You will definitely NOT like grocery shopping in China....where even at the more "ang moh" Wal-mart supermart, the guy manning the seafood station spits on the floor while cleaning your fish!!Super gross!

Pebbles said...

Its definitely more fun going Cold Storage/Jasons/Tanglin Place supermarkets! The product types are very different! But am cool with the others for basic stuff..

Anonymous said...

Elder Jin, you forgot to mention the music played in supermarkets.

Elder Jem and I had a great time grooving to the music at CS after those hamburgers (i'm still not sure about that patty), while Bro pushed the trolley after you.

awesome!

grooved sponge

'Lil tWin StaR said...

pushing the huge trolley down the aisles at Woolies/Coles were (and will always remain) some of my FAV things to do when in Aust.

coming back to SG, i absolutely hate going to NTUC/shop'N'save. oh and the hypermarts here are really not much better than the neighbourhood supermarts. grocery-shopping in TWN's supermarts have proven to be a much, MUCH more enjoyable experience to me; even their Carrefour is waaaay cooler!

i'm FOREVA trying to get out of running down to the stores for mum these days :p

Little Miss Snooze said...

I totally get you.
I luv CS but too bad NTUC is my most convenient outle.

NTUC is good to get the necessities, but for a good shopping experience and be tempted to take many times off shelf, it has to be CS @ KAP. :)

Anonymous said...

you are right..I always see flies and wet floors at Sheng Song. I don't shop there too...i only go there if the weather is too hot or it raining outside ..ahhahaha

ntuc's items are limited these days..too many "house-brands" ..but their convenient is too good to resist...

there is a CS at Bedok camp there ..u know?

~tif;fany* said...

grocery shopping time is super therapeutic! :)

Jemej said...

shutterbug > EXACTLY!!!!!

karma chameleon > WHAT?! I thought they only do it on the streets?!

pebbles > yeah, i know what you mean. For basics, NTUC would actually be cheaper. :)

grooved sponge > I still think that patty was OK. And wasn't the bro the sweetest, pushing the trolley wherever I turned to? He's the best supermarket partner man!

And you and Jem, you can be the entertainers, and embarrass us, yes...

But I love it!!!! *MUACKS*

'lil twin star > Ooh, haven't been to those in Australia before, but sure sounds really cool! :)

Hahahaha, then you haven't tried going another supermarket?

lilsnooze > oh yes, the KAP one is really good! I always pass by it and think to myself, darn, beanbean is lucky to live so nearby!

silver-crv > Issit? Haven't been to NTUC in a while.

Oh yes, the one at Greenwood Ave/Bedok Camp is one of the CS that I frequent, sometimes with a bowl of cheng tng first beforehand!

tiffany > Totally agree!!!!! :D

Anonymous said...

hmmmm
u been to bedok shen shiong?
i love that place
lotsa seafood mostly still alive!!
u can get cheap basil and oregano by the bunches there too.
and the aunty's shopping will teach you how to cook herbal tea haha

Jemej said...

NEVER, no sheng siong!!! Didn't you read about the worms in their ferrero rocher??