Sunday, May 04, 2008

For a Good Cause

It went well yesterday, at the Citibank-YMCA Youth for Causes selection process.

The judges were grouped into 3s, and sat through rounds of presentation by the candidates. I was teamed with an associate professor of SMU and a VP of risk management, to which I felt quite intimidated. But I guess my marketing BS came in handy ultimately.

We looked through the groups of under 16s, and it was really enriching to hear business proposals from these little budding social entrepreneurs. It was so inspirational to hear how they have an idea, and how much they believe in their idea, and that their idea is the best and will work.

That made me really think about how cynical we adults have become, how jaded we sometimes are, that we tend to say no first, even before giving the idea a chance to present itself. Even though there were really some proposals that we know from experience that won't work, it wasn't easy to make sure that we deliver the message across positively, that we won't crush their fragile confidence.

As the little kids sat before me, full of earnestness and eagerness, I thought it was so beautiful, to be able to feel their pure innocence and simplicity. I'm not a teacher, I don't come into contact very often with kids. So I really appreciate this opportunity, the guy who pulled me into this volunteer programme, to experience this youthful energy which I otherwise won't come across at work.

After the whole session was over, I was exhausted from the rounds of presentation, yet very much emotionally recharged and inspired. I sure won't mind doing this again, on a regular basis!

That aside, when I reached home, The Boy pulled out these boxes for me. YES! They have ALL arrived, both the loot from Forever 21 and Nordstrom.


Lilsnooze is right, the online shopping itself is exciting. But the parcels arriving is even more so!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like time well-spent! :) I get inspired by the beauty of what passion can do.

~tif;fany* said...

parade your loots please!!

Pebbles said...

yes! open your presents!

Little Miss Snooze said...

Feels great isn't it, to be among youths who are driven and enthusiastic (Or naive? Haha)about their dreams. :)

Hey, you have to drag me in hoh? :P

(Isn't vpost great? My 9west order arrived on Friday late evening!Woot!)

=eLaiNe= said...

it feels great to as a reader reading this post, good job!

i too got my F21 parcel dy!! and i fully agreed with what lms said! when i got the parcels i was so eagerly to open it and check it out! luckily it fits well! =p and it really becomes an addiction cause yesterday i think i targetted another few from F21, AGAIN! =p

and yes, lms, vpost is great! =p

Anonymous said...

sounds like a good day judging. fun too! :)

loot! what's inside?!!

Anonymous said...

Hee... maybe if you save the airfare and shop online, you might get more!

Jemej said...

corsage > absolutely! :)

tiffany, pebbles > no need already la - they are already posted some days ago - see the links. :)

lilsnooze > Cos you are the QUEEN of online shopping mah! Not like me, still green, so excited that i must post my 1st buys, heh!

elaine > wow, you got your F21 stuff so fast? I ordered mine slightly more than a month ago lor!

imp > it sure was an enriching experience! :) Loot consists of 3 jackets from nordstrom (on sale!) and 5 tops from F21 - shopping is evil isn't it? ;)

muffin girl > eh no, sometimes we need the REAL LIFE experience too!We're coming for sure!!!! :D