Tuesday, July 01, 2008

New York (Mis)Adventure

Finally, getting down to the bitching about my supposed SHOPPING trip to New York that didn't take place in the end.

Booked the tickets with some small time Lucky Plaza travel agent (TA) slightly over a month back. When Thai Airways decided to stop flying to New York from 1 July, it took me a while to put two and two together, to realise that I WOULD NOT HAVE A FLIGHT BACK based on my intended dates of travel.

Realisation hit one week before I was due to fly actually.

At first anxious, I called the TA to find out what was happening. The anxiety turned into furor when I realised that all these while, the TA never took the initiative to contact me regarding alternative flight arrangements. I had to personally call them. What if I didn't call, and I stupidly fly there, without knowing that there won't be an arranged flight back??

To make matters worse, the TA started to push me towards accepting China Eastern as the alternative. No way in hell will I be taking a China Eastern plane. And she could actually lie that their tickets are more expensive than Thai Airways'. Come on lady, who are you kidding?

AND if I want to opt for other airlines, I would have to TOP UP the cost difference. If I so decide to cancel the flights, I would have to PAY for the administration/cancellation fees.

I'm not about to go into a tirade of my utmost displeasure against such TAs which provide "service" for as long as till the money is paid up. Unleashing my knowledge of profanities, in English, Chinese and Hokkien I can, but why waste too much of my youth (anger begets wrinkles) on idiots like these?

In any case, with our current work commitment, it would be better if we postpone the trip till later in the year.

In the end, with some help and advice, I'll be getting back the full refund for the cancelled tickets. Never again will I go to small time TAs, never again Thai Airways.

"Thai Airways, smooth as silk" - in the words of one of my friends who's also a victim, "My arse is smoother than your silk!!!!"

So there, I'm still here in Singapore, not 5th Avenue, not Central Park.

On a positive note, I'm really glad that I will be there, for a couple of friends:

  • Olimomok, I'll make it for your wedding afterall! :)


  • PF, I'll be receiving your SMS from the maternity ward! :)


  • For my friends Coach, Kate Spade, Abercrombie, Victoria Secrets, and giant Macy's, see you in October (hopefully)!

    21 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    oh dear.
    that's truly unreasonable of them!

    ps. pretty 2.55!

    ~tif;fany* said...

    lousy service~ hmmm can check out SQ for their 2-to-go deals next time! =)

    and can i tompang coach please?? :PP

    candice said...

    we're considering october! anniversary month mah.. ;)

    imp said...

    that really really sucks. i hate flight screw-ups like that.

    hope it's a blessing in disguise then. new york will always be beckoning!! :) soon soon!

    Anonymous said...

    come over this saturday!!!
    the invites is opens!!!

    you know the addy..:)

    cheer up....
    see ya

    Anonymous said...

    Aww, I'd be super pissed too! But don't worry, NY will always be there. That's what I keep telling myself anyway!

    Welcome back - I've been clicking on your website almost everyday! Yay, see you and J this Sunday :)

    Anonymous said...

    October might be a better month with the cooler weather and Fall/Winter collection will be out by then!!!

    Anonymous said...

    Nevermind mama. Your friends will be Mango, Zara and Chong Kee for now.

    Lup!
    BBL

    Little Miss Snooze said...

    U can still connect with your "friends" online till then...

    =eLaiNe= said...

    ohh...i hope this won't happen to cathay pacific on my trip to HK this aug! anyway, nvm...octorber is not that far away! =p

    Pebbles said...

    Thats really really bad!! Going later means have more time to save more and spend more!! Wahaha!!!

    Jemej said...

    wigglybits > yeah, the 2.55 "saved" the day. haha

    tiffany > that is IF i make the trip!

    candice > cooler weather by then! :)

    imp > well, hope the favourable exchange rate still remains!

    silver-crv > will be there, can't wait to see edgar! :)

    olimomok > it's less than a week already, how time flies!! :)

    muffin girl > Yup! I was thinking of the cooler weather, but clothes from fall/winter collection won't be so applicable here. :(

    by the way, any major public holiday during that month?

    BBL > There's another new friend, 2 rows away from Chong Kee. It's called "no name".

    lilsnooze > Haha, you know me well! ;)

    elaine > Cathay to HK - sure no problem one!

    pebbles > EXACTLY. Haha

    Anonymous said...

    hello, where exactly is chong kee? my man very adverse to going chinatown so i am trying to scheme something to trick him there but he is bound to blow if i bring him in circles looking haha

    michelle said...

    china eastern?! wah lao! how can that even be an option for a 20 hour flight?!

    at least i'll be seeing you this sat. =)

    Corsage@A Dollop Of Me said...

    another annoying airline incident! At least you could see the silver lining. Hope the Oct trip works out!

    pei fen said...

    dang girl! you're quite cool about it already. if it were me, i would've yelled out my entire collection of hokkien expletives out. what a way to disappoint!

    but nair mind... october will be a good time too. weather will be cooler and new york is a bustling place any time of the year!

    Sparkle Thots by Ruth said...

    oooh. :( but there's still the webbie links. :)

    catch you soon i hope. its been a while.

    Anonymous said...

    woah wad a screw-up. terribly irresponsible I agree!

    but yeah NYC will be bustling any time of the year so I'm sure the Oct trip will still be worth it! :) Get the chance to save more shopping $$ too!

    Anonymous said...

    If I'm not wrong, there's Columbus Day on the second Monday of Oct! You're in luck!!! Must buy more Kate Spade then. It's awfully affordable there.

    Anonymous said...

    Hey, i was wondering why you had not contacted me...now i know why.
    Raine

    M said...

    This explains everything... Well if you come in October, and venture further up north, you'll catch the gorgeous me...err...no, I meant the gorgeous New England fall.